|Location:||San Francisco, California|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
Who We Are
Samsara, founded in 2015, is a leader in Industrial IoT and our mission is to increase the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of the operations that power our economy. Our solutions combine hardware and software to bring real-time visibility, analytics, and AI to operations across various industries. Samsara’s fast-growing team is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in San Jose, Atlanta, and London. Our team has raised $930M from Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, AllianceBernstein Holding LP, Franklin Templeton, General Atlantic, Sands Capital Management and Warburg Pincus LLC.
At Samsara, we welcome all. All sizes, colors, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
About the role:
Samsara is seeking an experienced Backend Engineer to join our San Francisco-based Location Services team.
Samsara’s platform supports industries that power our economy. From managing truck fleets, to dispatching emergency vehicles, to securing warehouses, our customers depend on us for their critical operations. As an engineer on the Infrastructure team, your goal will be to continually improve the reliability, performance, observability, and efficiency of the infrastructure and micro-services that power Samsara’s platform. Your decisions will have a significant impact on Samsara and on our customers.
On this team, we build and improve on our location data processing infrastructure that powers our Fleet product. We build and maintain our maps, geocoding services, geofencing and trip tracking infrastructure. You will have an opportunity to work with internal users of our services to iterate on and improve our infrastructure. You will also get the opportunity to work with both product teams and our product manager to make customer-impacting improvements.
In this role, you will:
- Develop and improve infrastructure to support the reverse-geocoding billions of data-points.
- Continuously improve our geolocation, geofencing and trip tracking infrastructure and collaborate with product teams and product management to identify areas for better accuracy and performance.
- Debug and resolve production issues across services and levels of the stack.
- Build a great customer experience for people using your infrastructure.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices.
Minimum requirements for this role:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent practical experience
- 4+ years of experience on backend-focused teams
- Strong programming/coding fundamentals
- Experience working with web services deployed on Cloud providers such as AWS or Azure
An ideal candidate also has:
- Experience writing high quality code in a programming language (e.g. Ruby, Scala, Go)
- Experience scaling databases and services to meet high traffic demands
- Enjoy thinking about systems - their life cycles, edge cases, interactions, and failure modes
- Enjoy working collaboratively with developers of other teams, various use-cases
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all full-time global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we’ll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
With the spread of COVID-19, Samsara's global offices will remain closed until further notice with the exception of employees that require access to hardware and lab equipment.
Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are also able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through June 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based and fully remote roles.
If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.