|Job Type:||Full Time|
Who are we?
Intelligent Conversation & Communications Cloud (IC3) is an org within the Microsoft 365 (M365) portfolio of products. IC3 powers billions of conversations across Microsoft Teams and other clients. It enables reliable, high quality audio/video calling, meeting, and messaging services across a wide variety of end points.
Inside of IC3, we are the group providing all the platform services and capabilities that power Identity, Chat, Calling, Meetings, PSTN and SMS workloads through M365 Graph and Azure. Millions of customers around the globe, rely 24/7 on the services that we build for running their core businesses. Powering all of this takes a set of well architected, globally distributed, highly scalable services and applications. Our group is responsible for building and growing these services.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager who is passionateabout architecting and building real-time services that will enable customers to power their Applications and providing APIs, Billing and Configuration management for these customers. This is an area that is evolving rapidly both inside and outside of Microsoft, and you’ll be at the forefront of that change. As a manager for this team you’ll get to immerse yourself in cutting edge technology with the team and influence the huge business opportunity that lies ahead, for this team.
You’ll be a model guide for an engineering team that will develop and manage large scale, distributed communication applications and services
You’ll build, foster and grow the team, including hiring exceptional talent as appropriate.
Build strong relationships with partner teams within Microsoft to bring innovation to new and existing communications applications.
Work with Program Management to influence business strategy.
Foster a culture of inclusivity and disciplined software engineering practices to deliver business value, guided by data
- Design and develop large scale distributed software services and solutions.
- Adhere to and drive modern software engineering practices through design and code reviews.
- System design through well-defined interfaces across multiple components, code reviews, leveraging data/telemetry to make decisions.
- Develop “best-in-class” engineering for our services by ensuring that the services and the components are well-defined and modularized, secure, reliable, diagnosable, actively monitored and reusable.
- Improve test coverage for services, organize and implement integration tests, and resolve problem areas.
- Consider testability, portability/monitoring, reliability, and maintainability, and understand when code is ready to be shared and delivered.
- Gain a working understanding of Microsoft as a business and collaborate with mentors and leaders in order to contribute to cohesive, end-to-end experiences for our users.
- Focus on customer/partner needs through a data driven approach.
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or Engineering OR equivalent years of work experience.
- 8+ years of industry experience developing enterprise grade software.
- Familiarity with building applications and services in the Cloud would be very helpful. Knowing Microsoft Azure stack is helpful, but not required.
- Ability to communicate technical details clearly across organizational boundaries.
- Experience in DevOps to maintain live services and\or application frameworks.
- Excellent analytical skills with systematic and structured approach to software design
- Passion for building highly scalable, highly reliable services and clients.
- Experience with or exposure to Agile and iterative development processes.
- Experience with modern web technologies like Node.js, Angular or React
- Experience with real-time communication protocols, audio/video codecs and real-time media
- Experience with WebRTC is a plus
- Growth Mindset with a desire to learn, a tendency to embrace challenges, persist in the face of setback, see failures as essential to mastery, learn from criticism and find lessons and inspiration in the success of others.
- Help to create a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone can bring their full and authentic self, where all voices are heard, and where we do our best work as a result.
- Confident and articulate in expressing ideas to a mixed audience with varying views and challenges.
- A sense of personal ownership and accountability is required, together with the ability to deliver to deadlines while managing internal stakeholder expectations.
- Self-motivated with a strong drive for reaching across teams and organizations to make progress collaboratively
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.